Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Peach Cobbler

This recipe varies from typical "cobbler" recipes. I like it better because it is way richer and way sweeter. Everything should be richer and sweeter, eh? Now in this recipe, I always use my home canned peaches, but I'm sure it could be adapted to use fresh peaches. I would suggest slicing peaches similar for a pie. I do use some of the peach juice in the recipe as well, so perhaps a simple syrup would be a good substitute if using fresh fruit. Anyway, here goes:

Peach Cobbler

1 qt. peaches and juice
1 box yellow cake mix
1/4 c. marg. or butter
coconut
nuts (pecans or walnuts work well)

In an 8 x 8 baking dish, place all peaches in dish. Add approx. 1/4 cup of juice. Sprinkle with 1/2 box of yellow cake mix. Dot all over with butter. If desired sprinkle with some coconut and nuts. Drizzle on approx. another 1/4 cup of juice. Bake uncovered at 350 for about 1/2 hour or until top begins to get golden brown. Serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream. Store leftovers covered at room temp.

UPDATE:
***I've been thinking about this and this is one recipe where I've never actually measured anything. The more I think about it though, wherever it calls for 1/4 cup of juice, it's probably more like 1/3 cup. You don't want it to be too dry, but you also don't want it to be too 'smooshy'. Hope that makes sense.***

2 comments:

Kameron said...

I use this recipe (minus the coconut) for cherry cobbler. 1 can of cherry pie filling, 1 Tablespoon cinnamon, 1 Tablespoon lemon juice all mixed together. Top with cake mix and drizzle melted butter over it. Bake until golden. YUUUUUUUMMMMMM!

laura s. said...

Yes! My parents used to do the cherry one in a Dutch Oven when we would go camping. Really any berry filling would be good. Sometimes they even used fresh blackberries! Good memories!